Why do we need Wellspring?
The need for non-medical support for cancer patients and their families is already very real…and growing. In Canada, we are fortunate to have world-class treatment facilities along with specialized oncology teams and excellent ancillary health care providers. But the health care system does not have the resources to meet the significant non-medical needs of people with cancer. Wellspring is there to help to fill this gap.
What does Wellspring offer that isn’t provided elsewhere?
People with cancer frequently say that they want to access support and information when and where they need it. Wellspring centres offer centralized, comprehensive cancer wellness and support to anyone impacted by any type of cancer. Specifically, Wellspring will provide support:
- For anyone affected by cancer, including family, friends and caregivers.
- For people with any type of cancer, at any stage.
- For as long as help is needed.
- In collaboration with medical treatment.
- In a home-like, non-hospital, non-clinical setting.
- Free of charge with no need for an appointment.
What is Wellspring’s greatest asset in providing service to the Community?
Wellspring’s greatest asset is its members, those patients, family members and caregivers who have first-hand experience and knowledge in managing cancer in their own lives. When these individuals volunteer to help others, they bring with them a practical knowledge of ways to cope, and then, eventually how to regain control of their lives.
Very few of us are ever prepared for the words, “You have cancer”, and would soon come to realize that we know very little about the crisis facing us. At Wellspring, cancer survivors are given a unique opportunity to pass on their personal body of knowledge to those just starting their journey.
What difference does Wellspring make?
A cancer diagnosis often comes with feelings of uncertainty, helplessness and fear of the unknown. Most people have very practical concerns that go beyond medical treatment and care. They ask questions like:
- What should I tell my kids?
- What will I look like after surgery?
- How soon can I get back to work?
- How will we survive financially?
- What can I do to reduce my risk of recurrence?
Wellspring is a lifeline to those who find themselves thrown into chaos by a cancer diagnosis.