Recipe: Black Bean & Corn Salad
Thanks to a dedicated group of volunteers, the Westerkirk House herb garden is now in full bloom. This year’s garden includes basil, rosemary, dill, oregano, cherry tomatoes and cucumbers. Whenever possible, the fresh herbs and vegetables are used in Westerkirk’s Nourish sessions and Cooking Series.
Black Bean & Corn Salad
Yield: about 6 servings
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked black beans (1 x 19 oz can beans, drained and rinsed)
- 1 1/2 cups(375 mL) cooked corn niblets
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh oregano
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded, deveined and very finely minced (optional)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) light sour cream
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 1 small clove garlic, grated (optional)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground cumin
- salt & cayenne to taste
- Salad: Toss all Salad Ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Dressing: In a separate, small bowl, stir or whisk all dressing ingredients together until well combined.
- Assembly: Combine dressing with salad ingredients. Season to taste.
Notes: Add finely diced celery and red onions to the salad for a nice crunch!
Recipe provided by Wellspring Nourish leader Chef Sara Harrel.