From the Centre of Innovation: Science Meets Delicious!
GRILLED INDIAN SPICED FLATBREAD
Source: Adapted from www.mccormick.com
2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
2 cups thinly sliced onion
1 tsp turmeric, ground
½ tsp cumin, ground
Dash crushed red pepper
¼ tsp black pepper
1 package naan (4-5 pieces) whole grain if available
3 large, or 5 medium, vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced
300 g goat cheese, crumbled
2 Tbsp chopped fresh mint
- Preheat oven set to ‘broil’.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in medium skillet on medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in turmeric, cumin, crushed red pepper, and black pepper. Cook until soft. Set aside.
- Brush tops of naan lightly with remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Place oiled-side up in the oven set to broil. Heat for 2 minutes.
- Spread onion mixture evenly on each naan. Top with sliced tomatoes and goat cheese. Do not add mint yet.
- Return to oven to broil for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove once cheese has softened (note goat cheese does not brown) and crust has browned slightly. Sprinkle with mint. Serve immediately.
WARM MUSHROOM SALAD
Sweet Ginger Vinaigrette (Adapted from www.epicurious.com)
⅓ cup avocado oil
¼ cup peeled fresh ginger, julienned
½ cup peeled fresh ginger, pureed (use food processor if available)
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Drop a single piece of julienned ginger into oil. If it starts to sizzle, the oil is ready. Stir in remaining julienned ginger.
- Fry for 5 to 6 minutes or until golden. Remove with tongs and drain on paper towel.
- Allow oil to cool (it will be used to make dressing).
- Squeeze juice from pureed ginger into a small bowl using your hands.
- Add vinegar, salt and pepper to bowl. Whisk in cooled ginger oil. Set vinaigrette aside.
Warm Mushroom Salad (Adapted from www.recipes.com)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
4 cups chopped fresh mushrooms (use a variety; shitake, oyster, cremini, button)
1 large raw enoki mushroom, rinsed and trimmed
11 oz baby greens mixed
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Heat 1 tbsp vinaigrette (from recipe above) in large skillet.
- Add chopped garlic and heat for 30 seconds.
- Add mushrooms and cook until soft, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining vinaigrette.
- Remove from heat and let mushrooms sit in pan until they are just warm (note: very hot mushrooms will wilt the greens).
- Put greens on a platter and top with warm mushrooms.
- Garnish with julienned ginger, raw enoki mushrooms and balsamic vinegar. Serve.