Herb and Vegetable Garden at Westerkirk House
Thanks to a corporate volunteer team from TELUS, the herb and vegetable garden at Westerkirk is in full bloom. Whenever possible, fresh herbs, tomatoes and peppers from the garden are used in Nourish and Cooking Sessions at the centre. Below is a recipe for you to try from Wellspring’s Nourish program, Herbs and Spices.
Adapted From: ‘Lighthearted at Home’, by Anne Lindsay
- 1 cup bulgur
- 2 cups lightly packed chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup finely chopped green onions
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- ¼ -1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
- salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper
- Soak bulgur for 30 minutes in enough hot water to cover by 2 inches, drain well, pressing out excess water.
- Toss with parsley, onions, oil, lemon juice, mint, tomatoes and cucumber.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Makes 12 servings, ½ cup each.